Give your BBQ’s a bit of a taste sensation with this Roasted Pumpkin Rocket and feta Salad.
Topped with a drizzle of balsamic dressing or glaze makes for a moorish salad recipe you can use all the time. Oh and If you have leftover roasted pumpkin from the night before, this is even quicker to make.
4 Ingredient Pumpkin, Rocket and Feta Salad
With Basically only four ingredients this Roasted Pumpkin, Rocket and Feta salad makes for a super easy side accompaniment and meal prep option.
- Pumpkin – roasted and golden adds a lovely texture and colour to this salad
- Rocket – fine dark and gorgeously green leaves with a peppery taste.
- Feta – we used Danish feta for it’s creamy texture. Or use a firmer style if prefer. You can substitute the feta for roasted red onions or non dairy cheese as a vegan alternative
- Pine Nuts – when toasted these beauties give a nutty bite and texture.
Pine nuts are one of those quiet little ingredients that are packed full of health benefits but often missed. Boost brain and heart health and packed with magnesium.
The pumpkin we chose to use was a Jap variety. Butternut is another lovely pumpkin option too. It’s really up to your tastes, what’s in season and how easy it is to cut and prep.
With some supermarkets selling pre-cut pumpkin ready to roast, you’ll save you even more time.
What Balsamic Dressing Can I use?
This is totally up to your individual taste, but we love the sweeter or even balsamic glaze – slightly thicker versions. If you find the balsamic too tangy try mixing it with a little olive oil first or even a tiny bit of honey added to the oil and dressing.
The Mazzetti brand has been a go-to for us. We choose the more expensive option available – the Gold Label Balsamic Vinegar as it’s less like vinegar and has a thicker sweeter taste.
What other Dressing can I use instead of Balsamic?
A honey mustard dressing is a great alternative and most love that combination as a salad topping.
Ingredient Variation Ideas
- Replace the roasted pumpkin for red sweet potato
- Swap out the pine nuts for walnuts. This salad does well with a softer nut rather than a hard type like peanuts
- Baby spinach is another leaf alternative instead of the peppery rocket. Lovely and dark green in colour.
- Baby mozzarella or bocconcini cheese instead of the feta.
Roasted Pumpkin Rocket and Feta Salad Recipe
A Summer Salad with only 4 major Ingredients that's a great accompaniment for BBQ's or a lunchtime light meal.
- 60 gm rocket leaves
- 50 gm feta cheese
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 tbs balsamic dressing
- 2 tbs Olive oil to drizzle over pumpkin
- Salt and pepper to season the pumpkin prior to roasting
Cut the pumpkin into small pieces and toss onto a lined tray with covered with baking paper.
Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and pop into a moderate oven to golden and roasted. Allow to cool before assembling the salad.
In the meantime gently toast your pine nuts in a small frypan. Be careful not to burn them. This may take only 5 minutes. (no oil needed).
Pop the bag of rocket into a salad bowl. Scatter the roasted pumpkin over the top.
Add crumbled chunks of feta over the salad and sprinkle the pine nuts on top. Mix if you like or leave as is.
Drizzle with a sweet balsamic dressing or glaze if you prefer and even a little olive oil if you like.
Turn the oven on to 180 degrees Celsius.
Add some protein to make this more of a meal.
Try adding something to turn this simple 4 ingredient salad into something more substantial.
- Shredded roasted chicken
- Boiled eggs – sliced in half or quartered
- Shaved slices of prosciutto
- Torn pieces of Mozzarella or baby boconcini
Want to try some of our other fave salad recipes?
You may like our Crunchy Salad with Thai Sesame Dressing. Or our Cauliflower Rice Salad with Turmeric Vinaigrette Dressing.