Love beetroot? This Roasted Beetroot and Goat Cheese Salad recipe is so simple and flavorful and would have to say is the perfect match. 💚
It combines creamy goat cheese, roasted beets, peppery rocket, crunchy walnuts and avocado drizzled with honey mustard vinaigrette dressing. But the main thing about this salad is the colour contrast that makes it’s so appealing that everyone will want to dive in and eat.
Beet Salad Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this beet salad recipe:
- Fresh Rocket – we love the peppery taste of rocket and buy it in a bag from our local supermarket. Rocket, (also know as Arugula) can also be changed up with a leafy green mix of salad greens like lettuce and baby spinach if you prefer.
- Beetroots – Gorgeously purple, sweet with a tiny amount of earthiness.
- Soft goat cheese – Goats cheese are a perfect combination for roasted beetroot. Add great colour contrast and soft texture to the dish.
- Toasted walnuts – to add that little bit of crunch. While it’s recommended to toast the walnuts we used them raw for this salad. They do toast quickly so beware they don’t burn.
- Avocado – Creamy slices of ripe (but still a little firm) avocado add yet another layer of texture and of course who doesn’t love avocado.
If you love other roasted vegetable salads and looking for another idea, you can try our Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Salad
Amazing Nutritional Value of Beets
These beautiful beetroots (or rather purply balls of veggie goodness) are loaded with nutritional value that’s so amazing it will make you want to keep roasting and eating them all the time.
How To Make Roasted Beetroot and Goat Cheese Salad
Roasted Beetroot and Goat Cheese Salad Recipe
Love beetroot? This Roasted Beetroot and Goat Cheese Salad recipe is so simple and flavorful and what you say is the perfect match. 💚
- 2 beetroots
- 120 g rocket leaves arugula
- 1 avocado
- 50 g goats cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs olive oil
Turn oven on to 180 degrees Celsius.
Wash, peel and chop beetroots into eighths and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt if you like. Pop into oven for 30-40 mins. Check halfway through cooking time and turn beetroot pieces over.
Lightly toast your walnuts in a small frying pan but omit this step if you like your walnuts "ala naturel". Allow to cool.
Into a bowl add your rocket leaves, cooled beetroot, sliced avocado, walnuts and crumbled goats cheese,
Drizzle with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette dressing just before serving.
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients
- Wholegrain Mustard – tangy and a mix of different colour grains.
- Olive oil – Combines all the ingredients into a lovely dressing. Light olive oil is nice for a less pungent flavour
- Honey – adds that right amount of sweetness and a great combo with wholegrain mustard
- Rice wine vinegar – just a tiny bit
- Lemon juice – fresh and zingy
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe
Sweet and a little tangy dressing that will be a go to fave.
- 2 tabs wholegrain mustard
- 4 tabs olive oil
- 2 tabs honey runny
- 1 tabs rice wine vinegar or white wine
- 1 tabs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Place all ingredients into an empty jar and shake, shake shake.
Serve as is or transfer into an oil/salad dressing bottle.
Ingredient Substitutions for Roasted Beetroot Salad
Cheese Swap. Change out the goats cheese for feta. Feta comes in a variety of textures and Danish Feta is a great substitution for goats cheese.
Instead of Honey Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing why not try sweet Balsamic Dressing, Dijon Vinaigrette, or just drizzle with balsamic glaze and a little olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper.
Fresh beetroot v’s vacuum packed beetroot? Totally up to you. I do love the home roasted beetroot but if you are short on time you can grab some pre-cooked beetroots that are vacuumed sealed in the veggie section of your supermarket.
Nut variation. While this salad taste wonderful with walnut try pecans if you prefer a less bitter taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I roast beets?
There’s a few ways to roast this beautiful earthy vegetable.
Roasting beetroots whole. This is probably the easiest way. Wash your beetroots and give them a little scrub if necessary. Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle a little olive oil. Bake till tender or enough so that they aren’t hard when you pop a knife into the beetroot it’s cut’s easily.
Peel, cut and roast. This is the way I like to do it. Wash, peel with a veggie peeler and cut into the size you would like to have in your salad. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and a little olive oil. Bake in a moderate oven 180 degrees Celsius until tender. This can be 20 mins. Turn during the cook to ensure both sides get a little colour. Our Vegan Beetroot Patties recipe uses this method and rather yumm too!
Microwave and panfry. This is super easy way as well. Technically it’s not actually roasting beetroots but does a pretty good job at turning out the same. Pop beetroots into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cook for 5 mins. Check to see if they are a little softer.
If you think they need a couple of minutes more then pop in again. Now heat a frypan and cook on a medium heat until tender. May take 5 minutes or longer. Turn the beetroots over halfway through the cook so they don’t turn into golden veggies.
Do I need to boil beetroot before roasting?
No the beetroots will cook whole and from the raw stage.
Do I need to peel beets for the Roasted Beetroot Salad?
This is totally up to you. Beetroots can be roasted whole and after a little cooling you can remove the skins. Sometimes beets can be rather dirty and earthy so if you rather feel free to peel before you roast them.
I use a normal vegetable peeler to remove the skins from the beetroots and does the job perfectly.
We just love this Roasted Beetroot and Goat Cheese Salad and makes for a rather swish dish you can create that will impress your guests at your next dinner party. 😊💚