Purple beetroot, red sweet potato, crunchy green beans, caramelized carrots and fluffy quinoa make this Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Salad so awesome.
Topped of with our Homemade Ranch Dressing, (95 calories all up), this salad is a great mid season go to and a great side dish to most meals. This salad not only tastes yumm, but is a lovely dish to take to a bbq or friends place using vegetables instead of the usual lettuce and tomato combination.
(The recipe to the dressing is below.👇)
Ingredients for Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Salad
- Vegetables – use whatever veggies you like. The firmer ones retain their shape so the salad doesn’t become mushy. We love red sweet potato and have also used normal potato with a combination of beetroot, beans or even sprinkled with peas.
- Green Beans – these bright green wonders give the salad crunch and even more colour.
- Quinoa – the wonder food. Cooks quickly, plus high in protein, fibre, minerals and gluten free
- Salt and Pepper – to season those veggies before they bake
- Olive oil – lightly drizzled over to give these veggies a golden touch
How to Cook Your Green Beans For this Quinoa Salad
The real key here is to cook your green beans ever so slightly so they retain their crunch. Two minutes in the microwave followed by a cold water rinse helps keep these lovely veggies, crisp and helps to retain their gorgeous colour.
Or pop into iced water for 20-30 seconds. if your green beans stay too long in the cold water bath they end up water logged and soggy.
Alternatives and Substitutions for this Salad
There’s no hard and fast rules as to the kind of ingredients you might like to use for this salad.
We did find that staying with the firmer style of veggies will help keep this salad from becoming a bit of a mish mash. Though, for example if you would like to use zucchini then cut in slightly larger sized pieces and cook a little more al dente.
Small potatoes work well in this salad as well. Season well and allow them to get a bit of a crunchy roasted skin.
Green beans give this salad a real vibrant punch. You could pop in broccoli florets that have been roasted too.
How to cook Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Salad
- Cook the quinoa as per directions on the packet and allow to cool. Fluff with a fork slightly.
- Roast your vegetables in the oven till golden but to still retain their shape and allow to cool.
- Microwave your green beans and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Assemble the vegetables, quinoa and beans together and toss lightly.
- Serve with your fave dressing or our Ranch Dressing. Recipe below.
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad Recipe
Perfect salad for change of seasons and side dish for BBq's
- 1 large beetroot
- 400 gms red sweet potato
- 2 largish carrots
- 200 gms fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 3 tbs olive oil
Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and cook as per directions on the packet.
Chop beetroot, sweet potato and carrots into largish chunks, pop onto lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
Bake in moderate to high oven till just cooked. Allow to cool.
Trim green beans and pop into the microwave for 2 minutes. Rinse in cold water, drain and set aside to dry.
Mix the roasted vegetables, green beans and quinoa together till just combined.
Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing and serve.
You can use whatever vegetables you like for this salad. The harder vegetables retain their shape so the salad doesn't get mushy.
If using zucchini or pumpkin, be sure to cook or bake so they stay firm.
Easy Peasy Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
Greek Yoghurt – makes this a really fresh light Ranch Dressing. Substitute for sour cream if you rather a thicker consistency.
White Wine Vinegar – a little zing. Feel free to change to rice wine vinegar if you prefer
Fresh Lime Juice – just enough to add freshness
Chopped Chives – dark green and flecked throughout the dressing
Salt and Pepper – freshly ground and make to suit to taste
Dried Dill – optional but adds just a little more her-berlicious flavour.
Garlic – this is up to you and your personal taste. Sometimes raw garlic is just to strong, bitter and pungent. Try these mellowing hacks to make garlic less intense from Food52.
Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe
Quick and easy make in a jar Ranch Dressing
- 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or white rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey runny
- 1 tsp fresh chives chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic optional
Chop the chives finely and crush the garlic if using it.
Add all the ingredients into a jar and shake well and drizzle over your salad.
Double this recipe for a larger quantity.
Quinoa is just the bee’s knees and if you want to try out fave Pumpkin Quinoa Patties or our other Roasted Pumpkin Rocket and Feta Salad recipe too.
Need some more ideas for healthy food meals?
Grab your free 40 Vegan Recipes Cook book and download your copy today. Just click the button below. 👇