The Best Pumpkin and Quinoa Patties Ever
These awesome pumpkin quinoa patties are a winner and an awesome vegetarian recipe that you can whip up easily. You can use leftover roast pumpkin and quinoa from the day before to make this recipe a time and taste winner.
Easy Pumpkin Roasting Method
If you don’t happen to have any cooked pumpkin on hand at home, an easy way to cook (and make it even more tastier) is to pop your pumpkin onto a tray, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and let it cook all by itself in your oven. Leave the skin on as there is no need to peel. When it’s cooked gently scoop out the flesh of the pumpkin.
This roasting method is definitely an easier way to cook pumpkin while you prep something else if you like.
With only a handful of ingredients, these vegetarian pumpkin quinoa patties are not only a winner in the pantry department but also great on taste too. The ingredients are pretty simple and sure that you’ll have them on hand at home. I love having quinoa on hand in the pantry. It’s simple to cook and one of those go-to ingredients.
How To Cook Quinoa
Quinoa is one of those often talked about foods that is a great gluten free replacement to other grains. Being a grain that is high in fiber, quinoa can help in the movement department. (if you know what I mean). For more info on the benefits of quinoa a quick read an article on the Top 5 Health Benefits of Quinoa.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water till clear.
- Add 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water into a saucepan. (you can use vegetable stock to enhance the flavour or chicken stock too).
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, allow to stand with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up with a fork and ready to eat.
Ingredients For the Patties
- Pumpkin – any pumpkin variety is fine. A sweeter type will make your patties taste rather yum
- Quinoa – a pantry staple to have on hand and easily cooked quite quickly
- Parmesan – wonderful adding more taste
- Spices – cumin to give a little twist and salt, pepper
- Egg – perfect binding
- Breadcrumbs – use ordinary packaged breadcrumbs or gluten free if you prefer
- Garlic & Onion – omit the garlic if you prefer but the onion gives great flavour
Pumpkin Quinoa Patties Recipe
Delisciously tasty vegetarian patties great for lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup pumpkin mashed
- 1/2 cup quinoa or 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 onion
- vegetable stock pinch
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teas cumin
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tabs fresh basil chopped finely
- pepper pinch
- 3 tabs olive oil for frying
- 1 tabs coconut oil
Cook the quinoa first. Add 1 cup water the veggie stock cube and 1/2 cup quinoa to a pot and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer for around 15 - 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. Allow to cool.
Combine mashed pumpkin, quinoa, onion, garlic (if using), egg, breadcrumbs, cumin, parmesan cheese, basil and pepper. Mix till combined.
The mixture may seem a little on the wetter side and if need be add a little more breadcrumbs if you like.
Form into 5 or 6 patties and pop into the fridge for 15 minutes until they firm up slightly.
Heat a larger style frypan - moderately high, with olive oil and the coconut oil.
(use both or just the olive oil if you prefer. The olive oil can get rather hot).
Pop your patties into the frypan and flatten to form more of a rissole shape by pressing slightly with and egg flip.
Cook for 4-5 minutes and flip over carefully and cook the other side for the same or slightly less time.
Keep and eye out to make sure they don't burn.
Use Up Your Leftovers
While some families looooove leftovers, oftentimes it seems that they will often get tossed into the bin. If you are cooking up some pumpkin for dinner think of the next day of how you can use it if you have leftovers or make a point to cooked up a little more to use in a cake or salad. Roasted pumpkin makes an awesome addition to Summertime salads.
Vegan Pattie Option
If you love vegan food why not try our Vegan Beetroot Patties. Perfect for burgers, lunchbox ideas and nice eaten cold too.
Want To Try Our Fave Recipies and Salad Dressings? Grab your FREE BOOK HERE.