Who can resist a Zucchini Slice? Its such a versatile dish perfect in Summertime or a lovely light Winter lunchtime snack. So lovely to pop into lunch boxes for kids and adults too.
Ingredients for Zucchini Slice are pretty simple and you’ll probably have these on hand at home in the pantry and fridge.
This is a family fave of ours and is often requested at get-to-gethers and barbeques.
The slice can be made with normal self raisin flour or if you rather can use wholemeal self raising flour as well. We’ve yet to try it with almond meal or gluten free flour but would be well worth a try.
- 3 small - medium sized zucchini’s 400gms
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 carrot grated
- 3 rashes of bacon finely chopped
- 1 cup SR Flour
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the bacon and onion finely and lightly fry till onion is soft and bacon a little brown. Set aside to cool.
- Grate the zucchinis and carrot. Can be done in a food processor if you like.
- Lightly beat the 5 eggs.
- Combine the zucchini, carrot, onion and bacon mix, cheese, sifted flour, oil and eggs in a large bowl and mix lightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a greased and tray lined with baking paper and cook in a moderate oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Keep covered and store refrigerated.
Zucchini slice is great the following day served cold as a snack or great for lunch box ideas.
Great served with a lovely side salad and some crunchy bread.
For something different pop the mixture into a well greased muffin tin to make little individual pies easy to pop into lunch boxes or picnic baskets.