Who can resist a Zucchini Slice? Its such a versatile dish perfect in Summertime or a lovely light and easy lunchtime snack.
Easy meal prep for a quick weeknight dinner or great to pop into lunch boxes for kids and adults too. .
This is a family fave of ours and is often requested at get-to-gether’s and barbeques.
Ingredients for Zucchini Slice are pretty simple and you’ll probably have these on hand at home in the pantry and fridge.
- Zucchinis – bright and green
- Carrot – to add a little more colour sweetness
- Cheese – a taste and flavour enhancer for sure. We used tasty block cheese
- Onion – combined with the bacon for a taste sensation
- Bacon – flavorful addition or ham diced finely if you prefer
- Eggs – five all up whisked lightly
- Olive oil
- Self Raising Flour – you can use Wholemeal flour or organic but need to be self raising
- Salt and Prepper – seasoning to top it off
What kind of flour do you use in Zucchini Slice?
The slice can be made with normal self raising flour or if you rather can use Wholemeal self raising flour as well.
We’ve yet to try it with almond meal or gluten free flour but would be well worth a try. The heavier the flour the denser the slice does become so it does require a raising agent of some sort..
How to make Zucchini Slice
- Lightly brown the finely diced onions and bacon and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs gently and combine the olive oil and whisk together again.
- Add the grated zucchini, carrot and cheese and then the cooled bacon and onion and lastly the self raising flour.
- Season with pepper and salt and pour into and oven proof dish and bake for around 30-40 minutes.
Zucchini Slice Serving Suggestions
This is often served as finger food. Cut into easy to grab and eat bite sized squares.
It’s also lovely with a crunchy side salad or as an accompaniment with BBQ dinners too.
For something different pop the mixture into a well greased muffin tin to make little individual pies easy to pop into lunch boxes or picnic baskets.
Zucchini Slice Recipe
- 3 small - medium sized zucchini’s 400gms
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 carrot grated
- 3 rashes of bacon finely chopped
- 1 cup SR Flour
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper
Chop the bacon and onion finely and lightly fry till onion is soft and bacon a little brown. Set aside to cool.
Grate the zucchinis and carrot. Can be done in a food processor if you like.
Lightly beat the 5 eggs.
Combine the zucchini, carrot, onion and bacon mix, cheese, sifted flour, oil and eggs in a large bowl and mix lightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour into a greased and tray lined with baking paper and cook in a moderate oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Keep covered and store refrigerated.
Zucchini slice is great the following day served cold as a snack or great for lunch box ideas.
Storage and Reheating
- Storage: This zucchini slice needs to be refrigerated and stored in an airtight container.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave or eat cold. Still really tasty.
- Freezing: It’s not recommend to freeze this dish. (There will probably be very little left anyways 😍
How to Serve
Serve with your fave crunchy salad. Try The Cauliflower Rice Salad or the Crunchy Salad with Thai Sesame Dressing.
Want to try some of our fave recipes and salad dressings? Click on the image below to download your free eBook straight away.