Homemade Popcorn Chicken
Who doesn’t love Homemade Popcorn Chicken and it couldn’t be easier to make. A handful of simple spices, panko breadcrumbs and a quick pan fry and you’re in business.
No need to drive to the local fast food outlet as you can make this recipe easily at home.
Normally a kid friendly meal this homemade popcorn chicken recipe won’t disappoint the adults either.
Ingredients For Homemade Popcorn Chicken
- Chicken – Breast cut into 5cm square sized pieces
- Spices – mix of garlic powder, salt, white & black pepper, chili & cayenne powder with a little sugar (omit if you like for kids tastes)
- Panko Crumbs – these crunchy and fry up crispy perfect (never used panko breadcrumbs before? You can read about them here)
- Oil – olive oil for pan frying the chicken or whatever you like. Coconut or vegetable that’s light in flavour is great too.
To add a little more heat pop in more chili powder and cayenne to give it a spicy bite.
- 500 g chicken breast chopped into 5cm cubes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch of cayenne only a very tiny pinch
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 4 tabs olive oil for pan frying
Cut chicken into 5cm bite sized pieces
Mix all spices together in a medium bowl and coat the chicken.
Coat with panko breadcrumbs pushing slightly firmly onto the chicken to ensure the crumbs stick.
Heat the olive oil in a frypan to medium to high heat and cook chicken till golden brown and cooked through. Cook in two or more batches to ensure they remain crispy.
Drain on a paper towel and serve while hot.
For more heat and bite popcorn chicken add more chili powder and cayenne pepper.
Or for less heat only use the tiniest amount. The pepper gives spice as well. If you have overloaded the spices with too much chili and cayenne, pop in a couple of tablespoons of rice flour if you like.
Substitutes for Chicken
We’ve used the spices mix on lobster as well and think fish would be a tasty option to try too.
Why not try it on tofu for those who prefer a meatless option
Cut chicken into strips if you prefer.
Variations of How To Serve Popcorn Chicken
Really the way to serve popcorn chicken bites is totally up to you. We served this on some crispy cos lettuce leaf cups with a spoonful of homemade coleslaw drizzled with creamy dressing.
The kids will probably love the popcorn chicken bites as is with their fave dipping sauce
For a lunch option add the popcorn chicken to flatbread wraps, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, diced tomatoes with a little sour cream and chili sauce for a Mexican twist.
You can try the Crunchy Salas with Thai Sesame Dressing for something different.