This Easy Rocky Road Recipe is a much loved sweet treat at Christmas time in our household and a favourite treat no matter what age you are!
Feeling like you’re hanging for some now? You can make this recipe in minutes and enjoy every bite.
What is Rocky Road?
Rocky road is a popular American treat loved worldwide and well yes…it’s pretty delicious. It’s a combo of simple ingredients, marshmallows, nuts, chewy raspberry lollies, desiccated coconut all combined with melted chocolate. Once set it becomes a very decadent treat.
Why Make Rocky Road?
It’s the perfect sweet no bake recipe that takes 20 minutes to prep. A couple of hours chill time.
Only 7 ingredients – a simple recipe
No Cook – Who really wants to cook anything in the oven. Yeah….nah.
Create your own signature style – Traditionally the ingredients are chocolate, marshmallows, red chewy lollies, coconut and of course chocolate you can switch up to whatever tickles your fancy.
Whip up a batch for yourself and share the love creating an edible gift to give to your lucky friends. It’s a perfect Festive Christmas gift and anytime birthday gifts too. Enjoy and get creative.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Dark Chocolate – just enough to balance all that yummy sweetness out. You can use chips or block chocolate. Our fave is Plaistowe.
- Milk Chocolate – most of this mix is made with a majority of milk melting chocolate but feel free to use more dark chocolate if you prefer.
- Marshmallows – a 280gm pack of Pascall marshmallows worked perfectly. Cut them in half for a bumpy look slice. We like the chunky monkey effect so halves for us. In quarters if you prefer for a flatter slice or use miniature marshmallows..
- Red Chewy Raspberry Sweets – for Christmas gifting why not go the festive green and red theme with your lollies. We’ve used Allen’s Snakes for this recipe chopped in small pieces.
- Coconut Oil – keeps the chocolate soft and makes for easier cutting.
- Desiccated Coconut – love the addition of coconut. We like to use half a cup for this recipe.
- Unsalted Peanuts – cut them into the size you like. We opted for a slightly finer texture.
How To Make Your Rocky Road
- Prep 20 cm x 20 cm square pan (8 inches x 8 inches) with non stick cooking spray then line with baking paper. Cut up your marshmallows into halves or if you prefer quarters if they are on the larger side.
2. Add your chopped nuts, desiccated coconut and red lollies (cut or whole). Add the melted chocolate and coconut oil mix to the bowl of cut ingredients and mix till all are nicely coated.
3. Pour into your prepped pan and smoosh to all the sides. Refrigerate 2-3 hours. (more details in the recipe card below).
How do I cut rocky road?
It’s best to cut at room temperature as the chocolate and all the other ingredients are softer to slice through.
To get nice straight slices, use a clean dry sharp knife. I like to wipe and dry between each cut to ensure it’s a sharp and straight line.
You can also heat your knife in hot water, then dry it off before cutting. Though the enemy of chocolate is water so make sure your knife is super dry.
I love having it cut into long rectangular pieces especially if I am gifting and popping into a clear bag. (PS makes amazing gifts using the clear cellophane bags) For eating ASAP chunky squares are perfect
Variations and Additions
Make this your own signature easy rocky road recipe by varying the ingredients that you love.
Green or different colored sweets – the world is your oyster!
White chocolate – what about marbling your rocky road slice with two coloured chocolates. A visual delight
Maltesers – Chocolate in chocolate with a crunch.
Turkish Delight – oh my the decadence is calling. Or glace cherries or Cherry ripe slice.
Different nuts and Pistachios
Plain pieces of chunky biscuits
Pieces of meringue – this will add to the sweet factor for sure
Cranberries, raisins and dried fruit – well it just might make us feel that bit healthier.
How to Melt Chocolate
The best way I’ve found (and works for me pretty well all the time) is to melt your chocolate In the microwave.
I pop the chocolate and coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl and melt it in 20 seconds bursts at a time. I try not to stir to vigorously as this can make the chocolate go hard and unworkable.
You can also use a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. (medium to low heat). Be sure to have a gap of around 3-5 centimeters between the water and the bowl to avoid overheating the chocolate.
Word of warning …..be careful and try not to get water into the melted chocolate as it can seize.
Why did my chocolate seize?
Water and chocolate don’t mix well when they come together, it ruins your chocolate.
Sometimes the less expensive brands of cooking and chocolate are a bit harder to work with and I’ve found might stiffen more quickly.
Adding 2 tabs of coconut oil helps keep it runny and makes cutting it just that bit easier.
How To Store Your Rocky Road
Store your rocky road in an airtight container but if it’s mega hot day the fridge is the perfect place. (sometimes you can get a wet look on top of the chocolate when bringing back out to room temp).
But honestly….is it going to last that long or will the kiddos get to it first? 😁 It will usually keep for around 1-2 weeks but keep an eye on it as sometimes the chocolate can be effected by heat.
Other Easy Chocolate Recipe
You might like our Easy Chocolate Spiders Recipe. Only 3 ingredients and the kids will love them. Or that might have just that bit less chocolate that you might love is our Choc Chip Zucchini Loaf recipe. It’s got lovely dark chocolate chips through it!
Easy Rocky Road Recipe
A classic sweet treat made with a combination of marshmallow, chocolate, desiccated coconut, raspberry lollies and peanuts enjoyed the world over.
- 375 gms Milk Chocolate cooking/melting chocolate
- 125 gms Dark Chocolate cooking/melting chocolate
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 300 gm marshmallows pink, white or both colours halved (1 medium sized pack)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 200 gm packet red snakes cut into 2 cm sized pieces
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts chopped roughly into halves or quarters
Prep and line a 20cm c 20 cm tin with baking paper.
Cut your marshmallows in half and place into a large bowl along with the cut up snakes (or red lollies of your choice), coconut and peanuts.
Into a heat proof microwave bowl add both the dark and milk chocolate along with the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
Place into microwave and melt in bursts of 20 second intervals until a fairly melted consistency. Avoid stirring to often but gently mix through.
Once melted pour into the bowl with marshmallows, nuts, coconut and lollies and stir through then pour into prepared tin.
Place into fridge to set for around 2 to 3 hours.
When ready cut into your desired shapes and eat!*
To cut your Rocky Road Slice use a clean dry knife. Cut first into long rectangles and then into squares. Clean your knife in-between cuts to make it easier for slicing.
Keep in an airtight container in a cool place in the pantry. We prefer not to fridge the Rocky Road as it can appear to have a wet look on the top of the chocolate. Of course if you live in a very hot area fridge is a must.