One of the all-time easy dinner recipes for a quick go to is this Easy Chicken and Sweet corn Soup.
The reason this Chicken and sweetcorn soup has been such a winner is that it’s one of those recipes you can whip up as the ingredients are simple and you’ll most likely have on hand in your pantry and fridge.
This soup can be made thick and hearty if you like, or lighter for more of a lunchtime easy meal.
We usually make this more of a meal with the addition of thin Birds nest egg noodles.
Or for those who prefer a gluten free option, rice vermicelli noodles or the slightly thicker ones are yumm too.
Rather Moorish and there’s no stopping at one bowlful. With a hint of ginger and tipped with green shallots, this soup has a Chinese cuisine flavour to it.
Basically there’s only a few key ingredients to create this Easy Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup recipe
- Sweet corn – we use creamed sweet corn in a tin and have a couple of cans on hand in the pantry most of the times.
- Chicken – breast or thighs will both work in this recipe. Shredded or if you prefer a little chunkier.
- Ginger – gives it that gorgeous freshness.
- Onions – to deepen the flavour but removed after cooking
- Stock – to add oomph to the flavour. Cubes are easy and great to have on hand. Or pre packaged liquid stock can work too.
- Corn flour – to thicken slightly and make it more of a meal.
- Noodles – not normally in this soup but adds a great texture. Rice or wheat vermicelli.
- Shallots – a little crunch on top to zing it all together.
How to make Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Pop all your ingredients into the pot and simmer until chicken is cooked tender.
Strain and keep stock.
Add the corn, bring to the boil and thicken.
Add the shredded chicken meat, ham and stir through.
Cook the noodles as on the direction on the packaging.
Keep the noodles separate from the soup so they won’t go soggy and pop into the bottom of the bowl just before serving.
Top with the shallots and enjoy.
Easy Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup Recipe
- 300gm chicken breast or thighs
- 2 cans creamed sweet corn 420 gm tins
- 1 litre chicken stock made from stock cubes
- 1 medium onion cut into quarters
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tab corn flour
- 2 shallots for garnishing
- 3 slices ham sliced thinly in ribbons
- 0.5 tsp grated fresh ginger extra
- 1 tab water
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley cut very fine
Combine the stock, onion chickens parsley and ginger into a pot and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer possibly 10 mins till chicken is tender.
Strain the liquid and place back into the pot. Remove the chicken to cool and discard the remaining onion and parsley.
Mix the corn flour with the extra tablespoon of water to create a paste.
Add the two tins of creamed corn, extra ginger and bring back to the boil.
While the soup is cooking pop your noodle's into a pot and cook as per instruction on the packaging.
Add the corn flour mix and stir and blend together till mixture thickens.
If you like the soup a little thicker do a double batch of corn flour mix.
Once boiled and thickened remove from heat and add the shredded chicken and ham.
To serve, place noodles on the bottom of the bowl, add ladles of soup and top with finely cut shallots.
You can also add a splosh of soy sauce to your bowl if you like.
Keeps for around 3 days in the fridge.
Not a freezable soup.
How healthy is canned sweet corn?
Sweet corn may not always be available in season so using the tinned variety is so convenient. But how healthy is creamed corn or tinned corn? There’s a great article all on the vitamins and minerals and health benefits of canned corn written by livestrong.com and you can read it here.
Be mindful of the salt content of some brands. Reading the labels can be time consuming but once you find a brand you love you’ll be inclined to stick with that.
Want to try our Vegan Recipes?
Pop onto the image below to grab your FREE copy and download straight away. 😍