This Winter recipe we’ve found is an easy Veggie and Barely Soup that can be made in your slow cooker.
It’s a chop it up, chuck it in and forget style of recipe and it’s also Vegan.
It’s easy to prep and you can even chop it all up the night before and store it in your fridge so it’s ready to pop into the crock pot first thing in the morning. Makes for a very yummy dinner that evening.
Veggie and Barley Vegan Soup
- 800 gms of pumpkin seeds removed and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 250 gms of red sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 medium onion finely diced or crushed in the wizz
- 2 carrots cut into circles
- 2 celery stick sliced finely
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup of pearl barley rinsed
- 410 gm tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1.5 liters Vegetable stock salt reduced
- 750 ml of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker bowl and mix together to roughly combine.
- Pop the bowl into the slow cooker appliance.
- Place the lid on and turn the slow cooker on to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Serve with crusty bread or toasted sour dough topped with pesto and season to taste.
*Just a small tip that I found helpful. Cutting up two onions can make you cry so I opted to cut them slightly chunkier. After cooking the larger onion pieces became a little tough and I prefer the onion to be cut really finely or even minced in a kitchen wizz.
If you would love some new ideas for dinner, lunch salads and tasty healthy home made dressings you can grab our complimentary eBooks here